Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back to the birds

The big fears/questions seem to have been answered/alleviated. He likes me. I like him. He doesn't care that my house is messy.

His bird, a much bigger bird than mine, was very interested in a frisbee game that was going on at the park a few weeks ago and I was thinking it would be cool to teach a bird to play frisbee. I have some teensy mini-frisbees that I got for the little white dog and used to teach her to flip. She has since worked up to the pup-sized version but I meant to send CPG home with this disc for his bird.







I think my bird might get to keep that one and I'll order some new ones for CPG's bird 'cause I mean, how freakin' cute is that???

Last night, CPG and I were talking about my bird and moving toward flying her outside. I emailed BTD about her overnighter and he did not have any particularly useful insights. He's kinda gone off the deep end with his persecution complex and is all on about the effect of colors on both human and avian brains. I pointed out that we can't really know what color the bird is seeing anyway. They see a whole end of the spectrum which is invisible to us.

CPG is getting ready to let bird number 2 fly outside. I would love to be there for his first flight but I think he's going to be ready before I make it to the big city. Our plan with my bird is to do her first outdoor flight in a big field. Spend the next couple of weeks really hitting the recall training then take her out in her carrier to wherever I am going to fly her several times so she can get accustomed to the sights and sounds then do very short recalls. I need someone to go with me to hold her for a minute so I can walk 5-10 feet away and call her to me. We also think I'm better off starting this before she moults out the flight feathers so she can't fly quite as far or quite as high.

There are two nearby frisbee dog clubs both of them run by couples. Power couples even. I have this little fantasy of the two of us opening a bird kennel with the focus on flighted birds. Then we could be a power couple, dammit ;-)

7 Comments:

Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

And the angst-fest is now coming to a close. See ... it all works out.

1:08 PM  
Blogger ShellyS said...

I'm so glad to hear things went well.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Debs - debslosingit.com said...

"And the angst-fest is now coming to a close. See ... it all works out."

I am so glad you two enjoyed each other's company and had fun and sorted out that *surprise* you're both human! :p

2:54 PM  
Blogger Pup said...

Frisbee catching birds? Whoa, that blows my mind.

You're totally going to be beastmaster.

3:43 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

Aww mdmh, the angst fest is never more than a baby step away with me, you know that ;-)

Thanks Shelly and Debra, I'm soo soo soo soooooo glad too!!!!!

LOL Pup, now I really, really need those frisbee tossing lessons! Those mini discs are about the size and weight of those plastic can covers for cat food or whatever. Hard as HECK to throw with any degree of acuracy!!!

Let's hope Angie. Let's hope :-)

10:50 PM  
Blogger anthonygrieco said...

what's with this "word verification" shit??? Anyway hope you're not "with child"...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Debs - debslosingit.com said...

WV is there because while CPG was there, there was a mad rash of spamming.. so needless to say, our lovely chica bonita turned it on to protect us all from carp.

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home