Sunday, August 07, 2005

Nine hour phone conversations

What, you've never had one of those?

I know it would just be simpler to go out and meet some guy who already happens to live where I live but when have I ever done anything the simple way? I have very obviously been waiting for CPG to disprove my initial impression of him. Like, the least little thing and I have a go to pieces over it and post a dozen mini posts about how it was a big mistake and it won't work.

He could hear me typing last night and totally knew what I was doing. Towards the end of the (very long) conversation we even talked about the fact that that first ten minutes had been pretty rough going in terms of the idea of my going up to NYC to meet him, i.e., the step from IM to phone is small, the step from phone to real life is pretty fucking huge. I guess the moral being to give it at least 15 minutes before I come to any conclusions about anything.

The two different cities thing is still quite problematic. It would have been soooo nice if he just lived an hour or so away and we could have chatted on the phone and made plans to get together next weekend or something. A lot less pressure.

There were several things he said which gave me reason to pause. Not the things that a lot of people would react to like years of therapy for serious depression or the fact that he has almost nothing to do with his family. Little things.

He made me laugh a lot. He told me sad stories about people he's known and things he has been through. He coaxed bits and pieces of my past out that I don't usually share with anyone, even on a blog.

I want this to work out. I don't want to wind up all heartbroken and miserable.

6 Comments:

Blogger ShellyS said...

Scarily enough, I've had 9 hour phone conversations. I think I've longer ones, too.

Why not just see how this goes and not think too far ahead.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Debs - debslosingit.com said...

Ditto that- all nighters and then some.

I don't feel qualified to offer advice to anyone about now, but I can wish you all the best of luck with this one. :)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't have lasted that long on the phone. Thats pretty wild.

4:39 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

I read your all's comments to him tonight. He knows I have an anonymous blog but I did not give him the URL and a) I am fairly certain he won't look for it and b) I don't think he could find it even if he did.

He says you're sensible and intelligent and obviously gorgeous and I should listen to you Shelly ;)

Everything ok debra? NM I'll go check TB :) Hang in, k?

Even if you were really into the person Rob??

1:43 AM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Hmmm, 9 hours? Which would be longer/cheaper ... the talk or the drive!?

12:34 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

LOL, nights and weekends baby :)

I did think about the fact that I could have been over halfway to NY during that period of time though.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home