Saturday, February 25, 2006

Put your seatbelts on...

...it's gonna be a bumpy ride for a while. I've just plunged into the rather alarming world of online dating. Yes, I've dated people I've met online before but I've never joined a dating site. I spent most of yesterday writing profiles for Friendster and Match.com. If you're on friendster, please please list me as a friend?

Anyway, everything was going fine. A couple of guys emailed me. One stopped responding as soon as he saw my photos but oh well, right? He was way way cuter than I am anyway. One seems like he might be a unibomber wannabe and one is a dungeons and dragons sorta geek with kids, and a freakin' republican to boot - says he's a west coast republican, my response was that there AREN'T any republicans on the west coast except for Arnold.

So, I sent several guys winks thinking that in real life basically guys are practically always at least 1/2 interested and look for a physical signal from a girl to see if she is approachable so I was just saying "yeah, I'd talk to you." One guy? Sent me an actual not interested and blocked me from viewing his profile. WTF? He's older than I would be interested in and doesn't have any photos up. I only sent the wink in the interest of casting a wider net and being more open to possibilities. It's not like I'm a freakin' stalker! If you're not interested, just don't respond. Trust me, I'll take the hint.

My brother told me to "relax and have fun with it" but have to say: So. Not. Fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debs - debslosingit.com said...

So. Not. Fun.

I tried it, I decided it was more of a headache then just walking up to random guys and chatting them up- understand I do not talk to strangers at all.

Onc ein a while you'll find some interesting people, and sometimes some worth meeting, but most of what I met were just... I dunno. Once we got to talk on the phone I weeded most of them out as skeevy in about ten minutes flat.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Kenna said...

Been there. Done that.

My advice? Do your best to follow your brother's advice and just have fun with it. You'll come out of it knowing who you are and what you want and if some guy blocks you - so what? You weren't interested in him anyway, right?

Sorry I haven't stopped by lately ... this work thing sucks.

12:40 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

Have to say, you guys aren't all that encouraging. Going out on my first "date" in less than an hour. Meeting for coffee. How bad can it be? Don't answer that!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home