Friday, January 06, 2006

Excuse me while I hyperventilate

Not so long ago I was frequently scraping up change from Bubba's floorboards to afford groceries and I still have months where money is, shall we say, tight.

This wasn't the wisest money decision I've ever made and I suppose, as a result, I can't just enjoy the fact that I'm getting something new and that I have the money in the bank to pay for it.

I've been using my friend E's digital camera (only 2MP and quite, quite slow plus it's way sucky for print) off and on for the last year. She needed it back before the holidays and I have money from holiday PS so I just bought:



She's a Panasonic. 5MP, great lens, much MUCH faster than her predecessor. 2.5" LCD screen on the back, fabulous Burst Mode for those flying pics.

I'm excited. Really, I am. But I still feel sick. I mean seriously, I feel like I'm going to puke over spending $342 on a non-necessity.

I'm trying to view it as just a done deed. That money no longer exists for me. It'll be awesome to have a fancy new camera to take photos of the new bird. Sigh.

Okay, vote please (in the comments), on bird names:

1. Ace
2. Deuce
3. Encore
4. Other

I'm leaning hard toward 3. CPG says it is "crap" as a name. One of my client's thought of Encore and I think it's sort of cute and honors the original Diva.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Very cool camera! Honestly, it's a wise investment. I couldn't imagine my life without my camera. The price sucks, but the reward while overshadow that very quickly.

You didn't mention the size of your mem card. I got a 1 gig from www.flashmemorystore.com. They have very good deals. My camera takes xD.

And as far as names, don't settle on anything until you meet him. I love all of the names you suggested, and Encore is such an honor to your girl's memory.

HUGS!

4:14 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

Hey, did you see your mention in the post holiday card post? Send me your address so you can get your card, k?

I ordered a 512 mb sd (sd is a bit less expensive than xd) card 'cause I was also talked into buying an extra battery. No using cheapo AAs in the new cam ;-)

4:59 PM  
Blogger ShellyS said...

I think you should give the new bird its own unique name. She (he?) isn't a replacement and shouldn't be treated that way. So, of the choices, I'd pick Ace. Deuce or Encore sound like second best, or second choice.

Then again, I like animals that have human names, so what do I know. ;)

7:21 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

Shelly, it isn't as rude as it sounds to the second bird. Remember that I live in the middle of horse country and grew up in the show dog world. Both have a long history of using the parents' names in the offspring's. Rather than it being something to reduce the offspring to second best, it is just a nod toward the animal that came before, that the animal is a link in a chain.

I forget that the rest of the world doesn't think like that because I'm so used to it ;-)

9:11 AM  
Blogger ShellyS said...

Ah, ok. Out in my neck of the woods, people are cautioned to not do things like that lest they make the new pet a sub for the old one. :) Encore is a cute name.

When I was in college, I named the identical white carneaux pigeons in my professor's psych lab Ditto, Xerox, and Rerun. :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

That is cute! If A&J have another clutch and I get a little girl out of it, I was going to name her Echo :)

I accidentally named the Diva after my white dog's sire without even realizing it! The breeder shot down Ace as a possible name for this bird because she said that Solo's sire was named Ace, lol!

I named one of DTD's dogs "Minx" which was cute, fitting and original. A woman was down at the kennel when she was a pup and not six months later got a BC and named it Minx which seriously pissed me off.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO jealous of your new camera. I've been wanting one for ages and keep putting it off. The one I have is horribly big and clunky and I have to wait about an hour from when I press the button to when the picture is taken. Which sucks when I'm trying to get 3 dogs to hold their stays. :(

12:33 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I just found it, so I'll send you my work address! :) The 512 is a great size, too. I use Energizer E batteries in my camera. They're a bit more expensive than the regular batteries, but they last forever! They really do!

Take care, CC!

Hugs!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home