Friday, January 13, 2006

This time next week...

...I will be desperately trying to straighten up the house in preparation for getting cable installed on pretty much everything except the washer and dryer.



EC is now stepping up onto my hand to eat. In a lot of ways this is a lot easier than that first couple of weeks with So. I almost immediately let her out of her cage and then coped with having to hunt her down to put her up before I left. And a week into having her I had been bitten numerous times whereas EC hasn't bitten me even once. She does suck on my fingers though.

The big difference is that I don't have that sense of wonder with EC that I did with So. So always wanted to be ON me. From day one she wanted to be on my shoulder or head or wherever I would let her be. With EC it is a lot more clearly that I have what she needs: food.

I'm still delighted to have EC, it's just interesting to note the difference in my feelings about the two experiences.

Postcards are going out tomorrow so if you haven't given me your snail mail address and believe yourself to be a member of Team CC send me your real world contact info asap!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great close-up pic. Her feathers look fluffed-up. Was she trying to feign wind-effects for the exotic look? ;>D

I suspect the difference in your responses to EC (compared to So) has a lot to do with hard-won experience. Much of your excitement in your first bit of time with the original Diva probably came from actual adrenaline, because you never quite knew whether she would bite, flee or whatever. Technically you don't know any better what EC may do, but you've learned,and maybe desensitized yourself so your responses will be more useful. Much like the panic a first-time mom of a human infant feels, contrasted to how she may respond with relative calm to a second baby. (Dads too, of course. I didn't mean disrespect to any caring papas!) What feels familiar is less threatening, but that doesn't mean it will be any less satisfying to watch your new baby grow and learn. You're growing as a MOM! :>)

9:39 PM  
Blogger barrie said...

That is a lovely way of looking at it Ms. A.R.! And, there is definitely some truth to the idea that everything felt like a crisis with So where I am a LOT more relaxed with EC.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

And I'm sure that EC can sense those relaxed feelings, too!

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home